Attleborough is located between Norwich and Thetford and is a Norfolk market town and civil parish in the district of Breckland.
The town’s history can be traced back to Saxon times and, sadly, much of the town was destroyed by fire in 1559. It has a fine example of a medieval church with a Norman tower. The traditional industries of turkey-rearing and brush-making still take place. The turkey on the town sign is said to depict the days when Attleborough turkeys had their feet dipped in tar to withstand the journey along roads to the London markets.
Carnival Week takes place in June, when organisations get together to host an array of activities including an excellent parade of floats.
The town has a good selection of shops, a sports hall, doctors’ surgeries, dentists, opticians, health centre, banks and building societies. There is also a weekly market held on Thursdays.
Education facilities cater for pre-school right through to adult education. Attleborough is twinned with the French town of Nevil les Aubiers and many successful visits have taken place between pupils from each high school.
Interesting facts about Attleborough
- Attleborough parish church, St Mary's, is partly Norman and partly 14th century
- Banham Poultry, a British poultry producer, is based in Attleborough
- The late composer Malcolm Arnold lived in Attleborough from the late 1980s until his death in September 2006
- Justin Fashanu, the first openly gay footballer and the first black footballer to command a £1million transfer fee, with his transfer from Norwich City to Nottingham Forest in 1981, went to school in Attleborough
- John Fashanu, television presenter and former footballer and brother of Justin Fashanu, also went to school in Attleborough
- The late Brazilian racing driver Ayrton Senna lived in Attleborough during his early years in international motorsport
Official Attleborough Town Council website
St Mary's Church Attleborough
Map of Attleborough
Accommodation in Attleborough
Wild With Nature Glamping
Rocklands Road Shropham Attleborough NR17 1DX