A quiet village, Alburgh lies about four miles north-east of Harleston and 16 miles south of Norwich. Alburgh had a post mill with a single storey roundhouse with a 155 foot diameter footprint and a tailpole. Two sails and two double shuttered patent sails powered the mill, each with 7 bays of 3 shutters and 1 bay of 2 shutters.
Alburgh Village Hall and its licenced bar were built in 1972, which replaced the old wooden hall originally built in 1921 and is situated on Low Road. Charity run by local volunteers, it provides many clubs and activities for its residents and is joined onto a playing field. The hall is available for wedding and party hire and the tarmac carpark can be used all year round.
All Saints Church is found on Church Road, which runs parallel to the main road through the village. It’s built in the perpendicular style but has a 13th century chancel with early English windows. The south porch was added to the church in 1463 and the tower has 4 pinnacles all braced with 2 flying buttresses and a stepped parapet. Its roofs, drains, gutters, tower, ringing chamber, floors, walls, bell frame and bells were restored in 1980 and have been repaired many times since then.
The churchyard is a conservation area managed by the Norfolk Wildlife Trust Churchyard Conservation Scheme and a detailed record of as many graves as possible is kept up to date. The church is kept unlocked during the day and visitors are welcome, but no toilets are provided.
- One of the oldest ‘rings of eight’ bells in Norfolk is located inside Alburgh’s All Saints Church and these are rung regularly
- Alburgh runs a village cinema on the 3rd Friday of the month, showing popular films that are often prior to them being released on DVD