The village of Newton Flotman is 6 miles south of Norwich on the A140, Norwich to Ipswich road. Newton Flotman church, St Mary, dates to around the 14th century and the new rectory was built in 1986. The village has a number of shops and businesses as well as a playing field for the younger residents. The river Tas runs along the boundary of Newton Flotman into Saxlingham Thorpe and Tasburgh, forming the Tas Valley. The village population was recorded in 1998 as in excess of 1200 and is still growing.