The village of Sandringham is part of Her Majesty's Sandringham estate and is 7 miles north of the town of King's Lynn and 37 miles north west of Norwich. Many of the buildings around the village are built of brick and carrstone, a local material, brown in colour. Most of the villagers are employees and pensioners of the estate and there is a flourishing village school. Sandringham church, St Mary Magdalene, is also built of carrstone, and has many memorials to the Royal Family.
Tourist Attractions in Sandringham
Sandringham is probably Norfolk's most famous country estate, and covers an area of 600 acres. Bought by Queen Victoria in 1862 for the Prince of Wales, the original house was knocked down and the present mansion was built. The house has always been a particular favourite with the Royal Family, and both George V and George VI died within its walls. The house and gardens are open to the public when the Royal Family are not in residence. Museums that were old stables and coach houses now display family possessions. These include many vehicles, from the first car owned by a British monarch, to a half scale Aston Martin.
Accommodation in Sandringham
The Coach House (SA)
A romantic hideaway in the grounds of a period vicarage in the heart of the Royal Sandringham Estate. Presented to a high standard, the property is a retreat from the bustle of the coastal villages yet a short drive from the North Norfolk Coast.