Belton was once part of Suffolk, only becoming part of Norfolk in 1974 with boundary changes. Up until 1959 Belton's rail station was a bustling place with market gardeners sending their produce to Newcastle and London. Today the old station site is home to modern houses named 'Platform 1 and 2' - The once pretty stretch of common is now two holiday/caravan sites, providing amenities for both villagers and visitors.
John Ives (1751-1776) was born in Great Yarmouth, the son of a merchant/landowner and is depicted on the village sign. Buried at Belton Church, he proved himself an antiquarian of considerable promise by writing the 'History and Antiquities of the Hundred of Lothingland'.