Taverham is situated six miles from the centre of Norwich on the north bank of the River Wensum.
The village boasts a fine parish church, built mainly of flint with corner dressings of freestone or sandstone. Dating probably from Saxon times, it is dedicated to St Edmund, King and Martyr, who was the King of East Anglia from 855 to 870 AD.
Taverham Hall was built by the Rev. J. Nathaniel Micklethwait in 1859, after the previous building was destroyed by fire. In 1919, when the estate was broken up into over 90 lots, it then became a school, which it remains today and is now Langley Preparatory School at Taverham Hall.
Until 1899, Taverham had a very unusual paper-mill. Today only the remains of the sluices can be seen but, in its hey-day, the paper-mill made paper of a very high quality. It was used for printing bank notes, bibles, the Oxford Dictionary and several daily newspapers including ‘The Times’.
Up until the 1960s and 1970s the houses were scattered about the village, but over recent years Taverham’s population has grown considerably, becoming a very desirable area. In 1951 its population was around 700 and in 1990 this rose to over 6,000, which did not include Thorpe Marriot.
Marriots Way cycle track leads to the city and is a popular cycle and walking route for those who work in the city or those who are just cycling or walking for pleasure.
Taverham Nursey Centre is a popular garden centre that stocks a wide range of indoor and outdoor plants, with an aquatics centre, landscaping section, garden furniture area, gifts and home products and a café. On site there are also a variety of other independent shops including picture framing, hairdressers, tearoom, shoe shop, arts and craft supplies, cookshop and pet store.
Taverham has a village hall with excellent facilities and activities, a library, schools for all age groups including a sixth form, doctors' surgery, veterinary practice, scout hut, public house, estate agents, pharmacy, dentist, and a good selection of shops and fast food outlets.