There is evidence that the Romans settled in Drayton as in 1849 labourers unearthed Roman pottery and an ampoule or flask. You can see why early settlers chose this area with its sheltered, green river valley. The stream, which is now piped under the ground, would have been a good supply of drinking water for their animals.
From 1882 to 1959 Drayton had a railway station, which was on the Midland and Great Northern line. During the First World War it was used for the movement of troops, but today it is an industrial site.
Harry Cator, the son of a railwayman, was awarded the Victoria Cross Military Medal and the Croix de Guerre for his services during the war. He became a well-known figure and was highly respected throughout the area.
R.G Carter began his building firm in the early 1920’s and the business is still flourishing today. The lych-gate to the church in Drayton is in memory of R.G Carter and all the good work he did for the village. The playing field, adjacent to the church, was given in memory of his wife.
Drayton has very good amenities, including a bank, post office, doctors’ surgery, chemist, baker, patisserie, florist, hairdresser, beautician and child-friendly public houses.
There are two schools, first and middle, and a village hall. Drayton’s King George V’s playing field has football pitches, a cricket pitch and a bowling green.
The Bob Carter Centre offers a vast range of sporting and social activities and has a welcoming community atmosphere.