Sprowston covers an area of 2,348 acres and is one of Norwich’s largest suburbs. In 1086 Sprowston was first officially mentioned in the Domesday Book and was described as a small village with two holdings.
One century on Sprowston was dominated by two significant families, the de Sproustons and the Mountereys. The Mounterey family occupied their manor for over 250 years whilst the manor held by the de Sproustons, and then later the Aslaks, was in fact the property of the Bishop of Norwich.
Mounterey Manor was passed over in 1545 to the Corbets. The village signs in Church Lane and Blue Boar Lane show the Corbet family symbol, a crow. There are also many monuments dedicated to the family in Sprowston Church.
When the last of the Corbet family died, the manor was bought by Sir Thomas Adams, who was a former Lord Mayor of London and a friend to Charles II. A monument to him and his wife can also be found in the church.
During the 18th century it is recorded that the population was less than 200, but by 1901 it had increased to 2,359. The 20th century brought great change with the disappearance of fields to make way for housing.
Today Sprowston has 3 primary schools and 3 middle schools, with a high school that has its own sixth form. It is also a centre for adult education classes.
Sprowston has many small shops that offer a wide range of goods, as well as a large supermarket. There are many places of worship for a variety of denominations.
Sprowston Manor Hotel offers excellent facilities, including a golf course, and there are also other family-friendly public houses located in that area