Catton can be found 3 miles north of the city on high ground and, like Costessey, is split into two: Old and New. Archaeological finds suggest Old Catton was inhabited as far back as the Stone Age, with further finds unearthing Bronze Age and Roman objects.
During the prosperous wool-manufacturing era, the wealthy merchants were moving from the city in search of grander properties to areas such as Catton. One such person was Jeremiah Ives, twice Mayor of Norwich and wealthy wool merchant. Guided by the architect William Wilkins, he built Catton Hall in 1780 and it was later landscaped, following designs by Humphrey Repton.
St Margaret’s Church has been at the heart of Catton since the 14th century, although parts date from the 19th century when considerable building work was undertaken. It wasn’t until 1979 that St Margaret’s gained a proper church hall, thanks to the fundraising of local groups and individuals.
Like all parts of Norwich, Catton’s population has grown considerably over the years. In 1911 it was recorded as 634 but, by 1991, the population had increased steeply to around 5,700.
Catton has recreation grounds for sports activities, clubs and societies such as Guides, Mothers’ Union, Horticultural Club and Women’s Institute for those who want to partake.