Costessey can be found to the north-west of Norwich, situated in the valley of the River Wensum, split into two – New Costessey and Old Costessey.
St Edmund’s Church dates from the 13th century, though much of what we see today was restoration carried out during the Victorian period, with the top and lead spire of the tower being added in 1930.
The River Tud flows through Costessey Park. Many years ago the river crossed Long Water Lane by a ford over which a footbridge carried pedestrians. There were numerous footbridges built at various times over the ford from the 1700’s up until 1913, the date on which the first road bridge was completed.
The Old Manor House, also known as Costessey Park House, was built around 1450 and is the oldest building in Costessey. It was once a grand hall but, sadly, all that remains today is the belfry tower.
The Royal Norfolk Showground is situated within Costessey, hosting the annual two-day Royal Norfolk Show. During the year it also plays host to numerous events, such as antiques fairs, farmers’ markets, craft shows and circus.
Costessey, both New and Old, has excellent amenities, including a popular retail park.