The village of Bircham lies on the border of the Sandringham Estate and consists of three parts: Bircham Newton, Great Bircham and Bircham Tofts. The old school built by the then Marquis of Cholmondeley in 1842 provided education for all three Birchams. The Marquis even clothed all the school children every year out of his own pocket. Today the old school buildings and house are residential properties.
Surrounded by giant limes is St Mary's Church, most of which was constructed in the 15th century. One of the entrances to its churchyard has an iron gate, which was donated by Queen Mary (George V's wife) and came from Queen Alexandra's rose garden at Sandringham.
Between Great Bircham and Docking is the village part of Bircham Newton. Here there are fantastic views, a conservation area and facilities for private trout fishing.
All Saints' Church is one of the smallest in the county and was constructed mostly in the 13th century. Its ancient pews have candle holders or pricket lights which are still used today during the occasional service.
During the course of the 20th century the village has changed drastically. Once it was almost self-supporting with its mill and bakery, coffin maker, basket maker, taxi service, butcher, pub, post office and sweetshops. Today little remains in its previous form, making the motor vehicle a necessity and not a luxury as in years gone by.