Blickling is known for its great Hall and is located near to Aylsham. Sir Nicholas Dagworth (b. 1390) built a rectangular moated house where the present Hall stands today. In 1616 Sir Edward Clere sold a very dilapidated building in much need of restoration to Sir Henry Hobart. His successors rebuilt the Hall in the Georgian style and in 1850 the property passed to the 11th Marquis of Lothian. After his death in 1940, the Hall and its 4,500 acres of estate became the property of the National Trust.