Situated halfway between Gt Yarmouth and Norwich, Cantley is known by many for its sugar beet factory, which can be seen for miles.
The great flood of 1607 caused massive destruction and was followed by a very deadly plague, which claimed the lives of many.
In 1910 a Dutchman called van Rossum came to the area and introduced sugar beet as an arable crop. Today it is still a thriving industry, processing thousands of tonnes of beet each day during the 'Campaign' as it is known, from September to January.
The village hall was built on land, which was donated by van Rossum, and is used by many organisations.
Cantley's village sign was erected in 1977 and was in commemoration of Elizabeth II's Silver Jubilee. It depicts the three churches of the parish, the wherry, a grebe, a pheasant, the river Yare and sugar beet. Legend has it that a headless horseman rides at midnight from Callow Pit to Cantley Spong. This is a distance of one mile and is avoided by many of the older residents.