The tiny north Norfolk village of Holkham lies on the A149 road between Burnham Overy Staithe and Wells-next-the-Sea and is part of the Earl of Leicester's Holkham estate. The building of Holkham Hall commenced in the 18th century, in a park surrounded by 8 miles of wall. It was inherited by Thomas William Roberts, who was in 1837, made Earl of Leicester. The coastal dunes, known as Holkham Meals, were planted with Corsica pines in the middle of the 19th century to stabilise them and prevent the sea from claiming any more of the land. Holkham is a very popular place with walkers and bird watchers and the walk along the beach from Holkham to Wells is well used.