West Winch is 2 miles from King's Lynn and has a thriving community. The village offers many well-attended groups and activities, making good use of the William Burt Community Centre. Some properties in the village still have grazing rights over the 210 acres of common. West Winch mill ceased working in 1937 and became derelict. In 1975 restoration began and by 1979 the mill had a single pair of sails and was being well cared for again. It is the main landmark in the village with a complete set of sails.